Learn to Paint with Acrylics: Acrylic Painting for Beginners Classes
This post contains affiliate links. See About Us for more information.
Do you want to learn to paint with acrylics? You’ll find many easy acrylic painting for beginners classes that you can take online, but which ones are the best?
Here are some of my favorite places to learn how to paint with acrylic paint. Learn about color theory, the best acrylic paint brands, and acrylic paint techniques and tricks.
An online course is a great way to get inspired and learn new things from experts in the field and artists you admire, even if they live on the other side of the world from you. Some are free and others have affordable fees, and be sure to check out the free trials!
Do want to learn acrylic painting for beginners step by step? Check out these acrylic painting tutorials.
Learn to Paint with Acrylics
Easy Acrylic Painting for Beginners Classes
Get started on your acrylic painting journey with this excellent Acrylic Painting for Beginners class by Lisa Solomon. She’ll teach you what kind of brushes and palette knives to use for mixing and blending, how to use water and acrylic mediums, and will demonstrate how to paint an object from life. Check the 2 hour online class out here.
Discover the essential techniques you need to paint confidently with acrylics! Experienced instructor and artist Michael Lynne teaches you to set up your palette and introduces you to the world of tints, tones and shades. Learn how to incorporate perspective and color theory into a landscape painting, and add depth and luminosity with acrylic washes and glazes. Start your free trial here and check out this acrylic painting tutorial now.
Basic Acrylic Colors Theory
The key to getting started with acrylic painting is to understand color. Take a color theory class and learn how to mix primary colors to make every shade and hue. Here are some excellent acrylic color classes:
- Create your own signature color wheel and learn to mix acrylic paints to get the prettiest hues in this online color theory class for acrylic painting.
- Learn acrylic color mixing in this online course with artist Carol McIntyre. Explore tips and techniques for easily mixing complimentary colors from basic acrylic paint colours. Sign up for the class on Craftsy here.
- Court McCracken is an artist and author who will teach you how to mix and choose colors to achieve the perfect palette. Check out her class here on Skillshare.
- Did you know that black can be warm or cool? You also might like this class that will teach you how to make shades of black by mixing acrylic paint colors.
Acrylic Painting Materials
Experiment and learn about a variety of acrylic mediums, tools, brushes, surfaces and pigments with these acrylic painting tutorials that go in depth into tools and techniques.
- New to acrylic painting? Learn how to properly clean your brushes and palette with Lisa Solomon in this acrylic paint tips and tricks class.
- Learn essential glazing, dry brush, mixed media, layering and impasto techniques for acrylic painting that add depth and dimension to your artwork in this online class taught by Rhéni Tauchid.
- Acrylic paint mediums can be a bit confusing. What do you use them for and which ones produce the effects you seek? If you’d like to learn more about acrylic paint mediums and get a demonstration of their qualities, check out this online class Playing with Acrylic Mediums.
Abstract Acrylic Painting for Beginners
Do you want to start with an easy acrylic painting on canvas to hang on your wall at home? You don’t even need brushes to make this cool abstract art. Courtney Cerruti teaches this quick online class that will show you how to make something fun and try acrylic painting even if you have never done it before. Experienced artists might also enjoy the loose techniques. Sign up here for the Colorful Abstract Painting course.
Have fun creating acrylic textures on paper with Keren Duchan. You can use these patterns as backgrounds, for greeting cards, and more!
Acrylic Painting Landscape & Nature Courses
Scenery, flowers and trees are popular subjects for acrylic artists. Learn tips and techniques from an acrylic painting tutorial like one of these.
- Clouds and skies are essential parts of any landscape painting. Learn how to paint a variety of cloud shapes and forms, stormy and clear skies in this acrylic painting class taught by artist Kathleen Moore.
- Join Bluprint for a free 7 day trial to take this online course on painting trees in acrylic with artist Peter John Reed.
- If you want to know everything about acrylic landscape painting check out the series of classes by artist Malcolm Dewey on Skillshare. Best of all if you sign up for Skillshare now you’ll get 2 months free!
- Everyone loves beautiful flowers. Create radiant flowers in acrylic with color mixing and application techniques. Learn to paint delicate petals, realistic shadows and vibrant highlights with artist Lexi Sundell. Sign up for the course here.
- I love seascapes, don’t you? Check out this YouTube lesson by artist Katie Jobling. I painted my first acrylic surf scene after watching this fun lesson. You can also take this seascapes tutorial by artist Tom Swimm and learn to paint crashing waves, rocks and sand.
- Learn how to paint reflections on water like lakes and rivers with this essential course for landscape artists on Bluprint. Check it out here.
Acrylic Paint Pouring
The latest trend in acrylic paint is paint pouring. It’s mesmerizing to watch and creates psychedelic effects. Want to learn to master this technique?
Check out this class on acrylic paint pouring on Creativebug. Or learn how to get the prized “cells” from Poppy on Skillshare here.
I hope this list of classes helps you to learn fun new skills in acrylic painting. Be sure to check out some of my favorite watercolor courses here too.
PIN IT NOW
You might also like:
- Best Liquid Watercolors
- Best Gouache Paint Brands & Gouache Basics
- Best Online Watercolor Courses
- Build a Watercolor Starter Kit
- Best Watercolor Paint Brands
- Best Gifts for Artists